Wednesday 1 April 2015

The Nerd-Geek Challenge!


Hi everyone!

Today I have a really fun announcement!! And if you read the title or taken a look at the picture above then I think you can guess what the announcement would be ;)

That's right: Franzi from FrankieHuntersNails and me are hosting a nail art challenge together!
We discovered that we both love nerdy things, like Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and Firefly a lot!

So the idea grew to do something "nerdy" together, and a challenge was born! We've come up with four prompts, which we will do designs for spread over two months - so twice a month we'll post something! We wanted to make sure that we had enough time to do them properly.

We'd love if more people participated in our challenge, so we've come up with a few pointers and guidelines (which are totally non-strict so don't worry):

First up, the basics:

  1. Anyone can participate! It doesn't matter if you only have a blog/Instagram/... or nothing at all, if you want to join us then you can!
  2. This is a geeky/nerdy challenge so your inspiration can come from anything that would broadly be classified as such! Sci-fi, fantasy, magic, werewolves, fairies, zombies, spaceships, dragons, if you like it then it's fine by us! We want to be very inclusive so if you're not sure whether your idea is "nerdy" enough, don't worry about that and just do it! ;)
  3. There are four prompts: inspired by a character, inspired by a movie, inspired by a tv-show and inspired by a fantastical beast.

Then, let's get more into the details about what, when and how - don't worry, it's all very broad and inclusive.
  1. Your design can be as abstract as you want. I myself wouldn't be able to paint Daenerys's face even if I spent 20 hours on it, so if you can't either than that's fine! Anything goes :)
  2. You can use any technique you want: watermarble, water decals, freehand painting, stickers or studs...
  3. Don't worry if you can only do one prompt. You can participate in all four prompts or only do one! Whatever you want and can do is fine.
  4. Our dates are guidelines, so if you can't post on the dates we suggested, that's fine as well and you can post your design on another day.
  5. You can make as many designs for one prompt as you want. So if you're super inspired by various geeky movies, feel free to let your creativity run wild and come up with 30 designs!
  6. If you want, you can leave a link in our blog post comments/on my FB wall/on Instagram/... to your design so we can check it out!
  7. We've come up with a hashtag to tag your designs on FB, Twitter, Instagram: #RFnerdnailschallenge so we can find them easily!

You already saw it on the collage, but I'll add them here too: the dates we suggest to post our designs are:
  • Character: 12th of April
  • Movie: 26th of April
  • Tv-show: 10th of May
  • Fantastical Beast: 24th of May

That's about it! I already have some ideas for all the prompts - I'm curious to see if I will be able to execute them properly! ;)

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to leave it in a comment here or to email me at roaringnails[at]gmail.com :)

You can find Franzi on Instagram under @frankie.hunters.nails and on Tumblr here! You can find me on Facebook here and on Tumblr here! :)

Thanks for reading!

P.s. big thanks again to Franzi's fiancé for helping us out (read: design this completely on his own) with the awesome collage!

P.p.s I know it's still April Fool's Day today but I promise you that this isn't a joke or anything - what a lousy joke it would be lol!


18 comments:

  1. Wow! Looking good ^^ I think I'll try ♥ I'll post the banner on my blog ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'd love to see your designs, definitely let my know if you've made one!! :D

      Delete
  2. yes we did it! can't wait for the responses to come! I'm glad you explained it more detailed then me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if I like this one, I am already participating on a challenge, I don't have the time for this one too! :( I am looking forward for your designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww don't worry Andrea that you can't participate! Thanks for commenting, I hope you'll like our designs! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh what fun prompts! Well done ladies, this looks like a really fun challenge for people to do :) I will have a think about characters although I'm so backwards and behind lately I can't promise I will be able to take part but it sure has me thinking! Always a good excuse to get out the acrylics! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the prompts!! You can totally post after the suggested date if you want though :) I would love it if you participated because you're so amazing with the acrylics!! :D

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. That's AWESOME!! :D Thank you so much! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like a lot of fun. I'll enjoy seeing your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ananka!! I already have a ton of ideas in my head - now I just need to bring them to life on my nails! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, great idea :) Such a shame I can't take part because of my final exams in May, I seriously need to start studying... But I can't wait to see your works :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booh exams!! I know how you feel! I'm so glad I don't have exams anymore this year :) Thanks Joanne!

      Delete
  8. I love the idea, wish I could particiapte but you know I still cant paint my nails \: If my little sisiter doesnt get busy (she has exams from coming sunday) i might make something on her nails :D I will look forward for both of your designs (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know!! I hope you will get better soon :) I would love to see your designs on your sister's nails! :)

      Delete
  9. Amazing idea, i´m new here on your blog. My name is Diana Fron Colombia and i feel so happy to find this challenge i´m a little geeky and nerdy too i guess hehehe. Big hug and i want to invite you to my blog if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, thank you so much!! I've followed your blog back, it looks awesome! :D I would love it if you participated in the challende, that's great! :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)