Wednesday 23 July 2014

OMD2: Day 23 - Negative Space


Hi!

I'm back with an OMD2 design! Today's prompt is Negative Space!
I realized that I have never put the picture of the OMD2 Challenges in my blog posts, so I'll start with that now:


Voila! For today's challenge, I used some new nail art items I recently got from She Sells Sea Shells, which is an incredibly cute online shop with all fun and awesome nail art items! I bought some chevron stencils, and holographic studs, but also unicorn embellishments and steampunk pieces (those are truly truly awesome) and plenty more! I actually want to buy just about every item in that shop, but that might be a bit too enthusiastic.

For today's design I used two Essie polishes: Chinchilly and Urban Jungle (soooo pretty).


I used the single chevron stencils to make the negative spaces. I only used my OPI Nail Envy base coat
underneatch the stencils, so you can see some staining on my nails from previous polishes. I recently also bumped into something really really hard with the nail of my index finger, and that left a white spot on my nail too. Anyway, I made sure to cover the too badly stained parts with polish ;)

I then added the cute unicorn charm. Unfortunately, Mr. Unicorn has somehow lost two of his legs in the great Battle of the Bed a few nights ago - when I went to sleep he was totally fine, but when I woke up he had become a very special two-legged unicorn. He's still cute though. I just might have to stick him tighter to my nails next time!


That's my OMD2 Negative Space design! It's a simple design, but I wanted to really show off the gorgeous Urban Jungle. It's such a perfect nude polish - it's a bit more lilac than my pictures show.

I used to dislike nude or "plain" polishes like this, I always thought (a few years ago anyway) "well, that colour is so not special at all, why would anyone buy that unless they were intentionally trying to be boring" (lol!) but I've totally changed my mind about that now. I love nude polishes like this, they are great to do nail art on or the colour if the polish on its own can be gorgeous as well, as is the case with Urban Jungle :)

Thanks for reading!


14 comments:

  1. Wow this is gorgeous!! I am so so crazy about the stud you used, I just think it fits the manicure perfectly and I love the softness of the colours you used. Robin, this is a really fantastic manicure :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ithfifi! I love the combination of colours as well and it was a great opportunity to test out my unicorns ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this mani! Sophisticated yet advanced and stylish. You are absolutely right, nudes are a great tool to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annika! I love your description of "sophisticated yet advanced and stylish" - it makes me blush! ;)

      Delete
  3. Die kleuren staan je goed! Mooie nail art, chique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great Robin! I love negative space manis (they are currently on my to do list!)! I love the colours and the charm is so cute too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayna! I adore negative space designs too - the only problem I have is that my nails have some staining (that never seems to be the case with other people! Or maybe I'm being too hard on myself) The unicorn is awesome!

      Delete
  5. I really like the neutral color combination you used here! Haha poor unicorn... I'm actually surprised the legs broke off instead of the whole unicorn popping off if it got caught on something. Did you have any issues with Urban Jungle? I thought about picking it up but then I heard the formula wasn't very good...

    I haven't done my negative space mani yet (I'm sooo behind!) but when I get around to it I think I'll use China Glaze Candlelight first... it's tinted just enough to hide stains but still looks like you aren't wearing polish! It matches my natural nail color really well I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Yeah I suppose I didn't properly seal on his legs as opposed to his body, poor thing! I loooove Urban Jungle, it's such a perfect colour for me. Issue wise, I have to use three coats for full coverage (two just never cuts it for me, but other bloggers have used two coats for full coverage). I sometimes get a few tiny bubbles in my design with Urban Jungle, but I haven't used it enough yet to determine whether it's Urban Jungle's fault or whether I haven't allowed sufficient drying time between layers (I am prone to do that). Application wise, I have no trouble with Urban Jungle, it's just like my other Essies :)

      I'm looking forward to your negative space design! That Chine Glaze polish sounds perfect, I need to find one like that to hide my stains too! ;)

      Delete
  6. Love the colors and the unicorn really stand out on nails. Its a gorgeous mani (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are brilliant! So elegant AND modern <3

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)