Thursday 10 April 2014

Classic Leopard Print With a Twist


Hello all you fierce tigers! Or leopards, to be more in theme with today's post!

If you've followed me for a while on here, then you know I'm a sucker for leopard print. Funnily enough, I actually don't own any clothes with leopard print on them - maybe I'm overcompensating for that on my nails haha.

Today's design is the classic leopard print, but with a twist to it!


The colours I used for this design are:
Goldbusters - Catrice
Black on Black - Sinful Colors
Chocolate Chips - Only You
African Queen - Only You

I started out by painting my nails gold with Goldbusters (awesome name by the way - I always love it when a polish has a name that refers to popular culture). This golden polish is a bit more yellow than the previous one I had (Goldfinger by Catrice) and I like my old one better - I'm just not a big fan of yellow. But gold is gold I presume, so on with the design!


I then created the brown leopard spots by mixing my two brown polishes together (because the one is too light for the spots and the other one's colour is too dark) and using a dotting tool to make the uneven spots. Then I did the outline with black polish and a small brush.

I felt something was missing in this design (I think it felt a bit off because my gold polish was more yellow than the previous one and it just looked different to me) so I made black strokes.

Awkward thumb shot to show off that poor forgotten finger as well for once
I used some striping tape to get clean lines, and did an accent on my ring finger. I  first placed the studs on my nails (but without sticking it on) so I could place my striping tape just next to it, in order to get the right width of the black strokes. Does that explanation make sense? It's hard to explain it properly in English, but I hope it's clear.

I took the studs off again to paint the black strokes, took the striping tape off, and then I put the golden studs on again and sealed them in with a royal amount of top coat.

Now to be honest, I'm not 100% pleased with this design. I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's the yellow golden polish, or maybe the black strokes with studs don't really work here. I did get some compliments about my nails today, so other people seem to like it a lot, and it really did grow on my during the day. Maybe I'm just being too critical of myself :)


What do you think of this design? Raauwtch or aauwtch? (haha see that I made a leopard pun thing - I'm so funny)

Thanks for reading!

20 comments:

  1. I love this twist on leopard print! I really like the black stripes and studs - it's a subtle change to the design! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure at first but they really did grow on me and when I look at the pictures now I like them a lot! :)

      Delete
  2. lol your last sentence...
    they look really cool, even though I don't like leo-prints neither in my closet nor on my nails. but i like and appreciate when others produce such nice manis!
    bottom line: tumbs up to your design! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I don't know where my obsession with leopard print came from, but I definitely understand it's not for everyone - I used to really dislike leopard print, go figure! :)

      Delete
  3. love it! it looks so great and I love those colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful manicure. I love it and I love your nails too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's like the most glamorous manicure I have seen all day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that's such a nice compliment! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  6. amazing nail art ! ii love it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look amazing!! In awe of your nail length and shape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, the length is all thanks to OPI Nail Envy! :)

      Delete
  8. What an impeccably done manicure! Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that's very kind of you! :)

      Delete
  9. I like the studs with the leopard.
    Goldbusters is a cute name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqui! Indeed, Goldbusters is a super fun name! Sometimes I wish I was a polish maker just so I could invent all cool names for polishes like Goldbusters haha :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)